George Steinbrenner suffered a massive heart attack and passed away.
Though serious baseball fans will certainly know all of these, here are things I never knew about The Boss:
- He was an assistant to Woody Hayes the year the Buckeyes were undefeated national champions.
- His first foray into sports ownership was the Cleveland Pipers, an ABL team in 1960
- After that league folded he backed about a half dozen Broadway shows, including Seesaw, which was nominated for best musical in 1974
- He had failed to acquire the Cleveland Indians shortly before being brought in on the Yankees deal.
- CBS sold the Yankees to Steinbrenner’s group for 8.8 million dollars (it is worth over $1.5 billion now)
- He was convicted of felony obstruction of justice and making illegal campaign contributions to Nixon’s reelection campaign.
He created the most iconic brand in baseball. Love him or hate him, his passing will leave a void in the room.
Rest in Peace.