I am officially crippled by how far behind I am on the Novel right now.
Most of my behindness is due to the Trivia night I helped host for the school adult social. I was in charge of questions. Maggie was gracious enough to open up her lovely home. Brooke tabulated the scores, helped me with the questions, did all the printing, and would gently remind me with a little holler when I forgot to turn the music on. (Brooke and Maggie definitely had the hardest jobs)
We stole the game format from the bar I went to with Brooke. Everyone was broken up into random teams and off we went. If trash talking and celebrations are anything to go by, everyone had a good time. The Big Blue Beye trophy was awarded to team “Spice Girls”, much to the disappointment of their husbands. There’ll be no living with them now.
For all of you who were unable to make it, shame on you. But I understand that sometimes life gets in the way of a good time. To give you a taste of what you missed, and what you are in store for next year, I give you (drumroll please):
The Beye School Adult Social Trivia Questions:
Astronomy: How many stars are in the little dipper?
Sports: What athlete has appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated a record 49 times?
The World: Name one of the countries connected by the Kyber Pass.(Bonus point if you can name both)
Television: Rob and Amber married after meeting and falling in love on this reality show.
Literature: What famous work of fiction begins with the line “We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.”
Animals: What is the only animal other than humans, to have sex for pleasure?
SECTION 2 was a bunch of pictures that you had to identify. Since I am no good at these computer things, I can’t get it to load without loading each individual picture. And no offense, but I’m not up for that.
Geography: How many of the United States border the Gulf of Mexico? (Bonus point for each one you can name)
Music: What was the only TV show of the 1970s to have its theme top Billboard’s Hot 100?
Football: What quarterback holds the highest completion percentage in a single game during the regular season, and the second-highest completion percentage in NFL history?
World Flags: What country’s flag consists of a simple green field with no other characteristics?
Movies: What is the only X-rated movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture?
US Presidents: What was President Harry Truman’s middle name?
All of the people or places featured in this section have an Oak Park connection.
1. James Dewar, a resident of Oak Park, is credited with inventing this beloved cake snack. ____________
2. Marjorie Vincent won this coveted crown in 1991. __________________________
3. The FLW Home and studio is open for public tours daily, except for three: name two of the three for one point. Name the third for a bonus point___________________________,____________________________,_________________
4. This Oak Park resident was the first African American chemist inducted into the National Academy of Sciences. _______________________________
5. Johnny Lattner won the 1953 Heisman Trophy while playing for this college football team. __________________________________________
6. This man is credited with turning McDonald’s into one of the most recognized brands in the world. ____________________________________
7. Earnest Hemingway is quoted as saying: “Oak Park is a place of broad lawns and narrow _______________________________
8. This actress became the oldest guest host in Saturday Night Live’s history.____________________
9. Dan Castellaneta may currently be the most well known voice actor from Oak Park, but Dawson Butler voiced over 50 cartoon characters from 1957 to 1978, including this bear _________________
10. John Lloyd Wright, Frank Lloyd Wright’s ____________, invented the enduring children’s building toy, _____________.
1. President Obama’s trip to Indonesia was cut short due to the ash cloud caused by the eruption of this volcano.
2. Name the cruise ship to which the U.S. Navy has dropped 70,000 pounds of supplies after losing power due to an engine room fire.
3. Senator Elect Mark Kirk and Alexi Giannoulias met for beers and burgers at this famous Chicago Tavern after the mid term election.
4. Indonesian Minister Tifatul Sembiring is in hot water for sharing this with Michelle Obama.
1. 6 U.S. States have some form of Oak as their State Tree. Name three of them (you get four guesses)
2. What was the original name of Beye School?
Answers will be posted tomorrow.